Review: Swallowing Darkness  

Posted by Amy in




Title: Swallowing Darkness
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Genre: paranormal/fantasy... mystery/romance(?)
Format: mass market paperback
For: personal choice (re-read)


Synopsis:(from book cover)
I am Meredith, princess of faerie, wielder of the hands of Flesh and Blood, and at long last, I am with child -- twins, fathered by my royal guard. Though my uncle, Taranis, King of Light and Illusion, claims that he is the true father since he abducted me from my home, betrayed, and defiled me. And now he has branded my guards as a threat to my unborn children.

Bearing an heir has placed me halfway to my aunt’s throne, that much closer to my reign over the Unseelie Court -- and well ahead of her son, my cousin Cel, in this race. Now I must stay alive to see my children born and claim my place as queen.

But not all in faerie are pleased with the news, and conspirators from every court in the realm plot against me and mine. They seek to strip my guards, my lovers, from me by poisoned word or cold steel. But I still have supporters, and even friends, among the goblins and the sluagh, who will stand by me.

I am Meredith Nic Essus, and those who would defy and destroy me are destined to pay a terrible price -- for I am truly my father’s daughter. To protect what is mine, I will sacrifice anything–even if it means waging a great battle against my darkest enemies and making the most momentous decision ever made as princess of faerie.





The Good: I loved the glimpse inside sluagh court, I wish there could have been more. I thought it to be one of the better parts of the book.

And without giving some hefty spoilers the rest of the good stuff will have to wait until you read it yourself. It is there though!

The Bad: There were a few things I personally found irksome in this novel. One is the total lack of response to the rape - from Merry and everyone else. It's starts out "I will kill him for you" but then is completely dropped for... forever. No trauma, no aversion to banging everything that walks, nothing. She can't remember it so obviously it didn't happen. Pathetic.
Secondly, do we have to be talked to like we have NEVER read a single Merry book in every damn book? Please, I know what color their hair is, I know her skin is white and "gosh that looks good on me." For the love of all that is holy I get it, Doyle is BLACK as in crayola crayon black, not Afro-American black. We get it already, shut up and tell a freaking story. [oh I feel better now for having ranted that out]

Overall: If you like the series and you like LKH books then this is a pretty good one. I would recommend it, especially if you have read previous ones in the series. It isn't as good as the start of the series but was one of the better action books, a lot happens in a short time so we don't spend quite so much time hearing about everyone's hair.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment

Post a Comment